"Life in the Peace Corps will not be easy. There will be no salary and allowances will be at a level sufficient only to maintain health and meet basic needs. Men and women will be expected to work and live alongside the nationals of the country in which they are stationed—doing the same work, eating the same food, talking the same language. But if the life will not be easy, it will be rich and satisfying. For every young American who participates in the Peace Corps—who works in a foreign land—will know that he or she is sharing in the great common task of bringing to man that decent way of life which is the foundation of freedom and a condition of peace."

-President John F. Kennedy

Monday, September 9, 2013

Children of the sky...

I opened my water bin one morning and saw little brown worms wriggling around in it. Dang. It was over half full, and I didn’t want to have to throw out all the water. I asked some of the neighbors what they were and if it was harmful to use the remaining water. What I found out is that the little boogers are called “Children of the sky” because if you leave your water bin uncovered when it rains then you may get these guys. I don’t know how worms can fall from the sky, and they didn’t come from my roof because I’m collecting the roof rainwater in smaller buckets and pure rain water in the big bin. Maybe it’s true, maybe it’s not, but they were in my water regardless. What I’ve ended up doing (it’s been a few day process) is I just scoop out wormless water from the bin, boil it, and then also run it through the filter before I use it. When the worms get in your water, a fungus that just looks like specks of dirt, begins to grow on the bottom of the bin. So I was able to salvage most of the water except for the wormy, fungusy bottom portion. I was told that they can also come from the borehole water that I retrieve, so I’ll now be on the lookout. I would boil and filter always if it wasn’t so time-consuming and I had a bigger pot. Oh well, not a big deal…until I get worms.

Saturday was the big ND-Michigan game. I had to tune in. Problem was that it was a night game, and I am forward four hours here, which meant I had to wake up at 3am to follow the second half by refreshing my espn app on my phone. Several months ago, 3am would roll around nearly every night as I stayed up late, but now it certainly is the middle of the night. It was exciting but obviously not good that they lost.

I met the friendliest/happiest man yet in Ghana yesterday. I went on another bike ride, following the little dirt paths through the fields. I was out where I wasn’t seeing any people, and then a man and about ten women appeared. The women were all squatting harvesting the groundnuts, and this man was standing and singing/talking/smiling and having the time of his life! I greeted in Mampruli and tried to speak all I could in Mampruli and he was loving it. He could speak decent English so we went back and forth. He was all smiles and loud and so friendly despite manually farming in the heat of the day, and probably since sunrise. I was hot and uncomfortable after 30 minutes on the bike, and he’d been out there working all day. Hoping to run into him in town soon because he’s a character.

I’ve been relaxing and reading a lot, as well as continuously trying to cook. Some successes, more failures. Always fetching water and walking/biking around. Tomorrow, school begins! And just a reminder, I haven’t been told what I will teach, or even an exact time that it starts. Basically nothing will happen tomorrow, we’ll see who all shows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment